Cowessess Ventures Ltd.
Cowessess First Nation is a progressive community focused on economic development. Since 2006 the Nation has been focused on new business creation and has numerous legal entities set up through limited partnership agreements under Cowessess First Nation. To assist in moving the economic development mandate forward, Cowessess First Nation established Cowessess Ventures Ltd. in 2018, as an umbrella organization responsible for Cowessess First Nation’s business endeavours and industry partnerships.
CVL is involved in the following economic initiatives on behalf of CFN including,
- Cowessess Gas and Grocery- Cowessess Gas and Grocery is comprised of two Esso branded gas stations- one located 3km SE of Regina and one located on-reserve in the Cowessess Strip Mall.
|Cowessess Gas & Grocery I (On-reserve)||Cowessess Gas & Grocery II (Regina)|
|Full Service (Regular, Premium & Diesel)||Full Service (Regular & Diesel)|
|Full Grocery store||Convenience items|
- 4C Farms Ltd. – 4C Farms owns and operates a mixed cattle and grain farm in the RM of Grayson. Our operations consist of 150 black Angus cows, 2500 acres of pasture and hay land, and 1000 acres of grain land.
- Cowessess Wind Development Ltd- Cowessess operates a one MW renewable energy generation facility located 3 km SE of Regina. The facility includes an 800kW Enercon wind turbine, 400kW of photovoltaic solar panels, and 400kW of lithium-ion battery storage.
- Last Oak Golf and Country Club– The beautiful 9-hole grass greens course is located in the scenic Qu’Appelle Valley on reserve. The course delivers encouraging atmosphere along with cart rentals, and a full-service restaurant with licensed dining add to the appeal. Last Oak Golf & Country Club is a source of pride for Cowessess First Nation and its citizens.
- Cowessess Driver Services- This is a construction partnership between Cowessess Ventures and JV Driver Group of companies. Our partnership is majority First Nation owned, drawing upon our Nations labor resource pool.
- Cowessess Urban Development – In collaboration with Cowessess Lands Department, Cowessess Urban Developments is responsible for developing the land owned by Cowessess First Nation to generate new business opportunities and sources of revenue.
- Awasis Nehiwewini Energy Development Corp. – has been establish to pursue utility scale renewable energy projects. ANEDC in partnership with Elemental Energy was awarded a 10MW solar contract through First Nations Power Authority in spring 2019. Construction on this development will start in 2020.
Meet our Board of Directors
CVL Board has been structured to be independent of political influence from Chief & Council, thereby comprising of professional individuals who hold a wealth of expertise in business, legal, government relations, and corporate governance. We are proud to have the following board members providing strategic direction to our CEO.
Meet our CEO- Jessica Nixon
Jessica holds a Bachelor of Business Administration Degree from the University of Regina with a major in Finance and Economics. Jessica also holds a Masters of Business Administration degree from the Kenneth Levene Graduate School of Business. Jessica brings expertise from her time in private consulting in the areas of feasibility analysis, business planning, sourcing funding/ financing, and project management. First Nation economic development has become a passion for Jessica, and she has developed a long and trusted relationship with Cowessess First Nation in varying advisory/consulting capacities since 2008. Jessica joined the team at Cowessess First Nation in spring 2017 as the Director of Economic Development. In April, the Cowessess Ventures Board of Directors hired Jessica as the CEO. Jessica is responsible for overseeing our existing business operations and has a daily working relationship with each of the General Managers. Jessica is responsible for existing business performance, new project development, partnership negotiations and organizational development.
If you are interested in doing business with Cowessess Ventures Ltd please connect with Jessica to learn more about our organization and the exciting business and projects we have underway!